Important Road Information

Don’t drive at night!!!! – Rule of Africa

Remember when in Mozambique to keep to the speed limit (120km) and slow down to 60km through villages. The speed limit is strictly enforced by police every day and the fine regardless is between R350 and R400 on the spot (ask for a receipt). If you do not have the cash they may confiscate your driving license until the fine is paid. Don’t argue with the police and be friendly. Also rather give them your license than your passport for obvious reasons.

Roadblocks are a regular occurrence and it is not uncommon to be stopped at some of these.

From Pretoria / Johannesburg drive towards Witbank. (Approximate 8 to 10 hours’ drive to
the resort.)

Use the N4 via Nelspruit, Komatipoort to the Lebombo border to Mozambique. After the border, use the EN4 towards Maputo. (Approximate 65 km) You will reach the Tollgate, Moamba Plaza. (250 Meticas = R50.00) Drive towards Maputo just after the Matola river you will find a bridge and a slipway to the left that is marked Xai-Xai. Follow this road for approximate 17 Km until you find the Board EN1 Xai-Xai. Follow the EN1 for about 200km until you reach Xai-Xai. In Xai-Xai Travel through the town until you see the KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) on the right-hand side.

Approximately 3 KM after KFC you find a school with tennis courts on the right and BCI Bank on the left, turn right to Praia de Xai-Xai. Travel 9 km until you reach a traffic circle, keep left and follow the tar road. At the beachfront turn left onto the dirt road and travel north along the seashore (pass the caravan park and Haley Hotel on your left-hand side) for about 1.2km. You will see the entrance to Go Wild Family Beach Resort on your left.

 From Xai-Xai town to the resort:

Travel through the town until you see the KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) on the right-hand side.
Approximately 3 KM after KFC you find a school with tennis courts on the right and BCI Bank on the left, turn right to Praia de Xai-Xai.
Travel 9km until you reach a traffic circle, keep left and follow the tar road.
At the beachfront turn left onto the dirt road and travel north along the seashore (pass the Haley Hotel and caravan park on your left-hand side) for about 1.2km.
You will see the entrance to Go Wild Resort and Restaurant on your left.

Travel Info


Following the announcement of the new regulation put into place by the Ministry of Home Affairs regarding travelling with children in and out of South Africa, please take urgent note of the below summary and the extract from the Publication of the Draft Immigration Regulations 2014 concerning documentation required when travelling with children under 18 years.

New travel regulations relating to travel with children

– Both parents travelling with child(ren) – under the age of 18 years have to produce a full/unabridged birth certificate for the child
(both parents details must be on the birth certificate)
– One parent travelling with child(ren) – must have consent from other parent in the form of an affidavit, court order stating that the other parent is aware that the child is travelling and has given permission for the child to travel, or custody agreement confirming permission to
travel with child(ren)
– One parent travelling with child(ren) – and other parent passed away, must produce a death certificate of the deceased parent.
– Guardians travelling with child(ren) – will need to have a passport, unabridged birth certificate and an affidavit or court order signed by both parents allowing permission for the child to travel. In the event that both parents have passed away a death certificate for both deceased parents must be used.
– If your child is travelling unaccompanied – the situation is slightly more complicated. You will still need the passport, unabridged birth certificate and affidavit or court order stating the child has permission to travel. To add to this you will need contact details of the person receiving the child, as well as a certified copy of their ID or passport and their physical address.
Failing to provide these documents will result in not exiting the country.

Travel Documents and Customs

• Valid Passport with more than 6 months remaining till the expiry date.
• Valid Visa, which should be obtained prior to your visit. South African Passport holders do not need a Visa. Please Note: if the period issued on your visa is exceeded, a fine per day will be charged for every day overstayed.
• Current Driver’s license or International Drivers License. A Mozambican Driver’s License is required if staying for more than 6 months.
• Insurance letter
• Vehicle registration Documents.

Documents Required for vehicle, trailers and boats

•Valid passport of the driver
•Certified copy of vehicle, trailer and boat registration papers in the name of the driver
•Letter of authority from the registered owner of the vehicle, trailer or boat is not owned by the driver
•If the vehicle, trailer or boat are still being financed, carry a letter of authority from the bank (must include dates of travel) together with the vehicle license papers.
•Valid driver’s license
• Proof of car insurance for RSA
•Temporary Import Permit for vehicle: Compulsory
•Third-Party Insurance: Compulsory – Available at the border post.
•Red Warning Triangles: 2 triangles required (does not need to be displayed on the car)
•Reflective Jacket: If more than two people are travelling in the car, then two jackets will be required (to be used when changing a tyre, at an accident scene, or if loading)
•Yellow and Blue Mozambique Warning Triangle: Two stickers required if towing a trailer; one in the front of the vehicle (on the bumper) and one on the rear of the trailer
•ZA Sticker: At the back of the vehicle
•Important Notes: ◦Never give your passport to anyone and avoid using locals to assist with border assistance
Rand currency is acceptable in most areas in Mozambique
◦Carry copies of your passport and driver’s license


What to do in a case of an accident involving a motor vehicle or other person:
1. If the accident is between vehicles or persons don’t remove your vehicle before the police arrive at the site of the accident
2. If the person is injured (but not badly) put him in a vehicle (not the one involved in a collision with another vehicle) and take him and someone who knows the person to the nearest hospital and ask the medical doctor or assistant to call the police
3. Show the police your driver’s licence, car papers and insurance for your vehicle
4. Call the insurance company to assist you.
5. Contact the tourism association, your destination resort or reservation agent

What to do if stopped by the traffic police:

1. Traffic police are dressed in a white shirt and blue trousers – police in grey or green are not allowed to fine you for any traffic offences
2. Put on your indicator and pull over
3. Remove your sun-glasses and turn the music down (a sign of respect and trust)
4. Greet the officer politely, never be rude (please see attached a list of Portuguese translations to assist you in communicating with the officer)
5. Wait for him to ask what he wants and check that he is wearing his badge before handing over your identification (no badge then no questions or fine)
6. Go through the motions of showing your license etc (you do not have to hand it over)
7. If you are guilty of an offence first apologize
8. If he does not “forgive” you then insist on a receipt
9. Keep the receipt and show it to your host destination, let them make a copy
11. If you have paid and the officer does not give you a receipt, do not give up and leave, ask for your money back
12. Do not be scared or intimidated but do not be aggressive
13. Advise the officer that you will not pay, or want your money back, as the fine is not legal and if he gives you any problems you will report him to your host destination, tourism association, or at the next police station

Common Traffic Offences:

1. NOT WEARING FRONT AND BACK SEAT BELTS (This is the most common reason for stopping of vehicles)
2. Driver’s license
3. Speeding
4. Unroadworthy vehicle (lights, brakes etc.)
5. Not having 2 triangles
6. Not having 1 safety jacket
7. Not having an insurance policy
8. Drunk driving
9. Ignoring traffic regulator lines, signs etc.
10. Not having a blue and yellow towing sticker on the front of your vehicle if towing
11. Canoes or loads on top of vehicles must not obstruct ANY view of the windscreen (eg: canoes must face up so curved end does not obstruct view)
12. Maximum amount for fine is 1,000mtn

If you require advice regarding an accident or police please contact your insurance company, resort destination or the Gaza Tourism Association/ASINHOS on +258 823 969 890

Mozambique Dialling Code (00258)
Contact Details
Mozambique Consulate General
+27 (011) 327-5704/ 5/ 7/ 9

Mozambique High Commission +27 (012) 401-0300
Komati Border Post +258 2155 0010
Lebombo Border Post +27 (013) 793-7201
Lebombo Border Post Police +27 (013) 793-7311
SA Representative Tel: +258 2149 1614

What To Bring

If you don’t have enough time to do shopping before leaving for your Holiday in Mozambique, Relax!!!  You can now do almost all your shopping at the new Shoprite and SaveRite that have opened their doors in Xai- Xai, almost everything you might need for your holiday under one roof.

• Cash -There is a Standard Bank ATM available in Xai-Xai Main town opposite the market and an FNB ATM is also available on the main road across KFC. Money can be drawn from almost all other local ATM’s with Visa Card.
We advise not to carry large quantities of cash, rather withdraw money from the ATM’s on regular basis.

• Beach towels- The resort provides Bath towels not to be used at the beach or around the pool area.

• Cell phones: Mozambique has relatively good cell phone reception in most of the areas. Check with your local cell phone provider regarding the cost when roaming in Mozambique. It is highly advisable to switch off all Data communication (Whatsapp, Facebook etc) on your phone as data roaming is very expensive, If you have arranged roaming with your South African network and you want to call a number in SA, please remember to add +27 to the number you would like to call. Eg: if the number is 082 615 XXXX, then change this to +27 82 615 XXXX. Remember when in Mozambique and receiving calls, that is answered, your service provider charges you for it (clarify it with your local cell phone provider) It is recommended that you buy a local sim card at the border post or in town, calls are less expensive.

• Washing detergent if you want to use the washing machine (can also be purchased at the local stores)

• Water: no need to bring bottled water, the water at Go Wild resort is safe for drinking. (Bottled water can also be purchased at the local stores)

• Wood and charcoal are available from the locals- The local charcoal is suitable for braai.

• Meat – It is advisable to bring your own meat

• Toiletries of personal nature.

• Sunscreen (not available at all shops)

• Your clothes.

• “Potjie” for your seafood stew or “potjiekos”

• Mosquito repellent

• Beach & board games.

• Camping chairs.

• Camera / Video camera.

• First Aid kit and Medication for all minor eventualities.

• Wall Power Points – standard SA 3 point plugs in the Villas

• Two-pin plugs for chargers cell phones etc.

• Diving / snorkelling equipment

• Beach umbrella / gazebo

• Torch

• Small hand Scale – If you intend to buy seafood from the locals rather use your own hand scale.

• Fishing gear – Do not attempt to do any kind of fishing from the beaches/deep sea without the necessary Mozambique fishing licence. License available From Dept of Fishery at the Praia.

• Petrol/Diesel – Some petrol stations take Visa cards but before filling up make sure that the card machine is working.

Health and Malaria

The whole of Mozambique is a malaria area and recommended prophylaxis should be taken. Your doctor can advise you on the best type for the area of travel and your personal requirements. However, taking prophylaxis will not guarantee that you will not contract malaria! The best way to avoid malaria is to avoid being bitten by the mosquitoes that carry the parasite. Only the females of one species of mosquito carry the tiny parasite, and the greatest incidence of malaria is in areas of high population where there are many people for the mosquito to bite and pass the parasite between.

Mosquitoes usually bite between sunset and sunrise, so make sure that you are covered up during this time! Wear loose-fitting, long-sleeved shirts and trousers, use a good insect repellent and sleep underneath a mosquito net or in a tent/ room sealed with netting. If you do develop flu-like symptoms, or feel at all unwell, during your holiday or after your return home, you must make sure that your doctor knows that you have recently travelled in a malaria area. Malaria is not a serious problem provided people take adequate precautions and seek advice and treatment immediately if they feel unwell.

Maputo’s private hospitals are of a good standard with clean and safe facilities. However, serious medical cases will be evacuated by air to South Africa where further facilities are available. For this reason, you must make sure that comprehensive travel insurance is taken out before you travel, this insurance should cover any medical expenses, air evacuation and repatriation if necessary.

Ownership Options

Residential Tourism – NUIT 400226865
House sales in terms of Mozambican ‘Decreto 39/2013 da 31 December – Turismo Residencial’
Go Wild Resort is compliant with the above law:

Full Ownership:

Full or Outright Ownership gives the investor 100% ownership of the holiday home. The home can be occupied on a full-time basis or the weeks not utilized by the owner may be used for rental
Each luxury air-conditioned, self-catering unit consists of 4 Bedrooms, 3 Bathrooms, Dining room/Lounge fully fitted with LCD TV, DSTV, microwave, washing machine, tumble dryer, as well as its own private splash pool, outdoor shower, under cover entertainment area, own parking and breathtaking sea view.

Fractional Ownership:

Fractional Ownership implies the Syndication of a property or in other words co-owning a holiday home. Fractional ownership offers you the opportunity to buy partial ownership of a quality and substantial holiday home in a first class resort area. It is the ideal vehicle to acquire a share in something that would otherwise be out of reach. The benefits of Fractional Ownership: Cost-effectiveness – You only pay for what you use. Owning a holiday home outright results in it costing you 100% yet you only have limited use thereof. Affordability – Leisure property has become very costly to acquire and maintain. Sharing these costs makes financial sense. Capital growth – You benefit directly from the growth of the asset.

Mozambique, unlike South Africa, has a different method of ownership of property. The developer holds the cession of the lease on the land and once construction of the home is completed, the cession of the lease is transferred into the name of the new owner(s).

Go Wild Resort offers 12 fractional shares per house. Each share allows the purchaser access to 3 x 10 day breaks a year. The utilization of these periods is set out in a fixed rotation schedule. The shareholders have exactly equal segments and will occupy the home one full year over a 12 year period.


Each owner has their own time period (typically one/two weeks) in which they can utilize the facilities, amenities, accommodations and all attributes associated with the resort.

As with any other piece of real estate the owner may:
• Use his or her week
• Rent out his or her week
• Give it to family and friends to use
• Leave it to his or her heirs
• Exchange into thousands of other timeshare resorts worldwide
• Sell it

The Go Wild Resorts timeshare weeks work on a Fixed week basis. You own rights to a specific week, in a specific house. This is your “home resort”, which you can either return to every year (same week every year) or trade through our exchange system for something similar in another part of the world, though not necessarily in the same week that you own.

Subscribe For Our Specials!